July 20, 2014
2:00 am: This is the witching hour. It seems that every night, no matter what the day has held, 2:00 am brings a bucket of fun. It reminds me of having a newborn, where you know you'll be waking up and watch the clock the whole time wondering when you'll go back to sleep. The actual task you woke up for becomes just a small part of the entire event. Don't get me wrong, I'm not complaining. I'm glad he's waking up and expressing needs. But it's exhausting for him. And me!
This morning's issue was the rash that has developed. I'd think it was just his sensitive skin, but man, it looks yucky. He wants to basically claw his skin off, and woke up covered in sweat on top of that. So this morning was full of discomfort.
However, in all of that, we still found humor.
I think Matt is trying to grip onto any type of control he can, and for some reason the past couple of days it's been controlling the location of his cell phone and having lotto tickets. (Thank you to our friend and my brother who provided these.) The super fancy hospital gown has a nice front pocket that was needing a job, so he has been storing the phone and tickets in that pocket. In the midst of the sweat incident, he requested a new gown and sheets and wife (oh wait…just kidding) and we got him settled with non-sweaty items. The new gown had a new pocket and realized that his lotto tickets were missing. Now, I'm not a nurse, but I'm going to assume this isn't a common request:
"Would you dig in that gown we just took off and find my lotto tickets? They're in the front pocket."
His nurse, Kylie, was absolutely the sweetest thing we could have asked for. That poor girl dug in his sweaty gown and found the treasure.
She's going to say this picture is awful. But we both feel it's the picture of compassion.
***
When I worked at Covenant years ago, my favorite part was the family connection. I loved seeing my patients and being with their families. I never realized that we'd have nurses and other professionals fulfill that same role for us. Matt teared up (and I did too) when we told Kylie goodbye as her shift ended this morning. The rough nights we've had would not have been as bearable without her and our first night nurse, Lauren.
***
Matt chowed down on breakfast this morning and even gave all of you a big thumbs up. Don't be afraid, look closer. It's there.
No changes planned for today. Hopefully he'll get an opportunity to walk again. It's funny (for lack of a better word) to think that Lucy Claire can outrun her 6-foot daddy right now.
***
I have a sweet friend who has been sending me scripture inspiration. Last night I told her I needed the verse about being clothed in dignity. As only God could orchestrate, that was the one she was to send this morning. I'm clinging to this today.
Here's to living in the moment, clinging to today's reality instead of tomorrow's unknown.
More later.
- Marissa
2:00 am: This is the witching hour. It seems that every night, no matter what the day has held, 2:00 am brings a bucket of fun. It reminds me of having a newborn, where you know you'll be waking up and watch the clock the whole time wondering when you'll go back to sleep. The actual task you woke up for becomes just a small part of the entire event. Don't get me wrong, I'm not complaining. I'm glad he's waking up and expressing needs. But it's exhausting for him. And me!
This morning's issue was the rash that has developed. I'd think it was just his sensitive skin, but man, it looks yucky. He wants to basically claw his skin off, and woke up covered in sweat on top of that. So this morning was full of discomfort.
However, in all of that, we still found humor.
I think Matt is trying to grip onto any type of control he can, and for some reason the past couple of days it's been controlling the location of his cell phone and having lotto tickets. (Thank you to our friend and my brother who provided these.) The super fancy hospital gown has a nice front pocket that was needing a job, so he has been storing the phone and tickets in that pocket. In the midst of the sweat incident, he requested a new gown and sheets and wife (oh wait…just kidding) and we got him settled with non-sweaty items. The new gown had a new pocket and realized that his lotto tickets were missing. Now, I'm not a nurse, but I'm going to assume this isn't a common request:
"Would you dig in that gown we just took off and find my lotto tickets? They're in the front pocket."
His nurse, Kylie, was absolutely the sweetest thing we could have asked for. That poor girl dug in his sweaty gown and found the treasure.
She's going to say this picture is awful. But we both feel it's the picture of compassion.
***
When I worked at Covenant years ago, my favorite part was the family connection. I loved seeing my patients and being with their families. I never realized that we'd have nurses and other professionals fulfill that same role for us. Matt teared up (and I did too) when we told Kylie goodbye as her shift ended this morning. The rough nights we've had would not have been as bearable without her and our first night nurse, Lauren.
***
Matt chowed down on breakfast this morning and even gave all of you a big thumbs up. Don't be afraid, look closer. It's there.
No changes planned for today. Hopefully he'll get an opportunity to walk again. It's funny (for lack of a better word) to think that Lucy Claire can outrun her 6-foot daddy right now.
***
I have a sweet friend who has been sending me scripture inspiration. Last night I told her I needed the verse about being clothed in dignity. As only God could orchestrate, that was the one she was to send this morning. I'm clinging to this today.
Here's to living in the moment, clinging to today's reality instead of tomorrow's unknown.
More later.
- Marissa
Comments
Post a Comment