Skip to main content

Day 4: Part 2...

July 19, 2014
Afternoon: Matt has had a really busy afternoon of activities and visitors.  His auditory issues have worsened today.  In addition, his double vision is a little worse.  However, we have lots of things to be thankful for that I'll explain through pictures.

His right arm has been working in overdrive all day.  He was able to reach over and pull up his blood pressure cuff.  Lots of effort?  Yes.  Worth it?  Yes.

He was insistent on preparing his own breakfast this morning.  Holding the spoon and stirring were challenging, but he did it.  As he's been saying "It wasn't pretty, but I did it."

Stood up for the first time today.  He described the feeling as wobbly and it really exhausted him just to stand.  However, standing wasn't good enough...

…he decided to walk.  And again, as he said, "It wasn't pretty, but I did it."  He was able to go about 52 feet, which is really great for his first time out of bed.

And, in true Matt style, he was insistent upon going through bills.  So, I brought them up and he tried to use the clip.  Just the progress in his grip from this morning (see spoon picture) to the picture below is astounding.

First time trying to eat with his right hand.  He wasn't able to do so, but was able to hold the fork and dig into the bowl of goodness.

Matt's having a hard time with pain and is struggling with sleeping.  He wakes up with incredible pain, and so he's become fearful of sleep.  The neurosurgeon explained that a buildup of carbon dioxide occurs while sleeping due to different breathing patterns, which is what is most likely causing the increased pain.  He encouraged him to not be afraid of relying on the pain medication, which hopefully will give Matt some "permission" to keep them coming.  I think he's trying to be strong and go without, but it ends up backfiring when he does. 

***
Matt's had so many people come by today, which he's really enjoyed.  I went home this afternoon for the first time.  I had mixed emotions.  I realize we are incredibly lucky and that this situation could be so much worse.  But, you know what?  I'm just gonna say it: this sucks.  This was not on my agenda.  This is not something I want us to be dealing with.  But here we are.  So we're going to get through it.  We're going to face this, head on, with all of your love and support and prayers, and kick some pons hemorrhage booty.  

***
Speaking of booty, here's a funny story from yesterday:
The nurse was bathing Matt and we had rolled him onto his side.  She found his phone under his rear-end and chuckled a little.  He said, "I was waiting for a booty call."  Oh dear.  Yes folks, he'll be here all week.

No really, he will.

***
Matt's sister has to leave tomorrow.  I can't imagine the past few days without her help.  She loves our girls fiercely, and they love her just as much.  

***
We received communion this evening together, which was nice.  Our church family is without a doubt some of the most wonderful people ever.  We love them to pieces.

***
Prayers for rest tonight.  More tomorrow.

- Marissa

Comments

  1. Praying for rest for the both of you. It is good to see him up and giving it his all. You are in my prayers. Praying for healing and strength.
    Curtis and Charlotte

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the pictures of progress!! Go Team Hoelscher!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Day 5: The Realities...

July 20, 2014 Afternoon:  Well, we moved down the hall to a different ICU room.  Our new nurse is like a drill sergeant grandma…sweet but serious. Warning: This is about to get real.  If you are offended by foul language, you might skip this post.  If you don't like the ugly truth, you might skip this post. So, here's the deal.  I've been thinking a lot today about reality.  Living in the moment.  Not worrying about tomorrow and next week and next month.  But that's hard for me.  I'm a planner and I have to plan ahead some because I'm here and the girls are being shuffled around and everyone is being so incredibly kind and offering help.  It all overwhelms me and I get to a place of feeling like "Screw this, I can't do it.  This is shitty.  There's just no other way to say it."  And then I get a text or a call or a hug that brings me back to a different reality; one in which hundreds of people are rooting us on in th...

Oh Christmas Tree, Oh Christmas Tree...

How lovely are your colors :-)

Friday Night Lights - A Poem...

The Friday night lights were back in full swing. Lyla arrived at the game asleep in her sling. All was well, the lights were bright. Little did we know that the end was in sight. The speaker came on and proclaimed domination. And that, dear friends, led to overstimulation. So we packed up our baby and checked on the time. The game started at seven-thirty, We left at seven-thirty-nine. The end.