Lucy Claire arrived on Friday, August 10! The week before was filled with contractions and multiple signs of her upcoming arrival. The Sunday before she was born we actually went to the hospital but were sent back home. Disappointing of course, but worth the wait. That week was spent with lots of contractions and feeling exhausted. I was still only dilated 1 cm at my checkup that Tuesday, but by Wednesday the contractions had really picked up. I'm not sure how I made it through the work day?! I woke up Thursday morning around 3am with stronger contractions, but still not regularly occuring. They'd come every 5-10 minutes, then take a 30 min break, then come every 3-4 minutes, then take another break. I suppose we could have gone back to the hospital but I was scared of being sent home again! I wasn't able to sleep that night because of the contractions and ended up waking Matt up at 2am. He asked me if I was willing to go to the hospital without any makeup...when I said yes he knew it was the real thing! When we checked in I was 8 cm dilated! Apparently my body really was working hard on Thursday. I was able to still get an epidural, but it didn't work so I felt a lot more than what I had planned on. They admitted us, we called my mom to head up, and the rest of the time was spent laboring away.
Lucy was born at 8:13am, weighing 7 pounds, 2 ounces and measuring 19 and 1/4 inches. (We actually learned this later at her first doctor appointment. The hospital incorrectly measured her to be 21 inches.) She had a tough time breathing and keeping her oxygen level up after she was born so I didn't get to hold her right away, which was hard. Fortunately she was able to stay in the newborn nursery under the "tent" while she worked on her oxygen levels instead of going to the NICU. She finally recovered well enough to have a bath and was brought to me around 1pm. Oh, how my heart exploded!
Lyla was excited to meet Lucy later that afternoon. She said "Hi Lucy, wanna paci?" We had to talk about touching Lucy softly. She seemed to have no problem understanding that Lucy was a baby after checking my belly once and determining that nope, it wasn't as big as it had been the day before.
The biggest talk, of course, was Lucy's hair. She was born with a head full of beautiful dark hair. I was able to put bows in it without a headband from the very beginning - heaven for this mama!
We are grateful and happy to have our little family at home together as we adjust to our new normal.
I will post more pictures once I get them loaded and organized. We have plenty to share. :-)
Lucy was born at 8:13am, weighing 7 pounds, 2 ounces and measuring 19 and 1/4 inches. (We actually learned this later at her first doctor appointment. The hospital incorrectly measured her to be 21 inches.) She had a tough time breathing and keeping her oxygen level up after she was born so I didn't get to hold her right away, which was hard. Fortunately she was able to stay in the newborn nursery under the "tent" while she worked on her oxygen levels instead of going to the NICU. She finally recovered well enough to have a bath and was brought to me around 1pm. Oh, how my heart exploded!
Lyla was excited to meet Lucy later that afternoon. She said "Hi Lucy, wanna paci?" We had to talk about touching Lucy softly. She seemed to have no problem understanding that Lucy was a baby after checking my belly once and determining that nope, it wasn't as big as it had been the day before.
The biggest talk, of course, was Lucy's hair. She was born with a head full of beautiful dark hair. I was able to put bows in it without a headband from the very beginning - heaven for this mama!
We are grateful and happy to have our little family at home together as we adjust to our new normal.
Lucy, just a few hours old
Not their first meeting, but Lyla's first time to hold Lucy.
Hanging out with daddy while we waited to be discharged.
Lyla greeting Lucy when we arrived home.
I will post more pictures once I get them loaded and organized. We have plenty to share. :-)
Comments
Post a Comment